Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Not Really Me

Sitting alone at KL airport, around 11pm Australian time, 9pm local time.
Well this trip has been very 'not me'! Starting with wanting to go to another country, travel alone, spend an exorbitant amount of money I don't have and be away from all I know for such a long time. Yeah I know it is only a week, but it is a week with almost no contact with my family. Before this, the longest I have been away from the monsters was 2 nights! As well as all of these things, there is the whole comfort zone to contend with; I am already way out of any comfort zone!
The whole 'not me' process began months ago, when I was given the flight tickets. I had months to do my typical research, planning and obsessive compulsive behaviour, but NO, I didn't. I merely accepted that I was going to Japan and it would work itself out, by magic if nothing else!
I guess knowing that I will be meeting Ellen in Tokyo is some help, but it still doesn't explain my behaviour. For any other trip, whether local, interstate or international, I know how to get there, what transport to use (and how to find it) and have a backup plan. Hell, normally I would have a timetable and fare costs worked out as well as a daily itinerary planned!
All this and here I am, alone in Malaysia with absolutely 'no clues'! All the announcements are in Malay or heavily accented English. The ticket info I have says that my luggage has been forwarded directly and I just have to go to the gate and wait. My boarding pass says gate 35, but already it has been changed to gate 26, of course that is assuming I have interpreted the departures board in an accurate manner!
Well I don't have much to do now except kill time, although I don't know how much time - I don't have a watch! Perhaps I should go find a clock somewhere or even do some shopping with the Malay $ that I don't have!
Cheers.

No comments: