Saturday, July 29, 2006

Japanese Tea

Over the past few months I have begun to acquire a taste for some tea varieties, but I have to say I am not a huge fan of your normal, every day black tea varieties. Well I can now say that I am not a fan of traditional Japanese green tea.

Picture mowing the lawn in summer, and then hosing out the mulchy grass that is still in the catcher. Then boil this grassy mixture and make tea. The tea looks bright green, with foam on top. It smells like grass and to make it worse, this tea tasted like a huge shot of hot wheat grass that was flavoured with seaweed. Interesting, but not a flavour that I have acquired a taste for at this stage!


We stopped for a traditional tea at the Hamarikyu Garden boat house. Fortunately the tea was accompanied by a traditional sweet. The sweet looked amazing, and the best way to describe the taste would be sugar coated refried beans! Strange but delicious.

1 comment:

Turning Japanese said...

That tea was one of the better one's I have tried!