Thursday, July 27, 2006

Missing Home?

Today was a beautiful day, exploring the area of Kamakura. We stopped for a drink in the shade of an old dirt-floor cafe to cool off before heading to another shrine.

The shrine was an amazing place. In one area there were hundreds and hundreds of small statues all in perfect rows alongside the path. It wasn't until I left that part of the shrine that Ellen told me that the purpose of the shrine was to remember children who have died or were still-born.
The area is referred to as Sentai-Jizo or One-Thousand Jizo. Jizo is believed to be a guardian deity of children, both alive and dead. Parents can dedicate the statuettes to thier lost soul and pray that the god may protect the poor little ones wandering in the netherworld, making offerings of clothing, hats and toys. The effect is rather heartbreaking, but a beautiful tribute to such a sad occasion.

I couldn't help but imagine the pain of being in such a terrible situation, and one thought lead to another and all I wanted to do was to be with my family and kissing my kids. I was sad that I wasn't with my kids, but happy that I was fortunate enough to be blessed with beautiful children. I love you AJ and Milla!

No comments: