Saturday, July 29, 2006

Fishy Bits

Yet another first for me, I chose to go to a fish market. When we first arrived I was thinking that I don't really like this place, it stinks. All those glassy eyes, peering out of the ice at us - EEEWW.

It was interesting, and I took a pile of photos, some will be classified as 'Things I Eat' and another that will be titled 'Never in a Million Years Would I Eat That'. Naturally the first grouping was the smaller of the 2; a fish market really doesn't sell much other than fish! There was the odd pickled vegetable stall, as well as a few fresh produce stalls. We did manage to get a peach each as a snack, they only cost 500 yen (we have seen them as much as 800 yen - almost $10 each!).
Things I Eat!

After our snack, we accidentally found the real fish market, the wholesale market. Surprisingly enough I really enjoyed this section. There was no smell, the floors and benches were continuously being hosed down and it was very clean. Some of the fish there were monsters. It would have been nice to see the auctions as one fish we saw (and we only saw half of it) cost 8000 yen. It was a massive tuna that weighed about 160 kilo.

'Never in a Million Years Would I Eat That'

The people at the market thought we were crazy, wandering through taking photos of fish guts. I never though I would ever enjoy something so fishy!

No comments: